Port Huron Then...
- The French explorer Daniel Greysolon Duluth established Fort St. Joseph near the present site of the Blue Water Bridge in 1686.
- In 1814, Fort Gratiot was established at the base of Lake Huron and was considered the first organized population in the area.
- In 1825, the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse was built. It was the first lighthouse established in the State of Michigan. The present lighthouse was built in 1829.
- In 1854, Thomas A. Edison's family moved to Port Huron where young Thomas Edison worked on the railroad selling newspapers and "testing" his numerous inventions.
- On February 3,1857, Port Huron became an incorporated city, consolidating the villages of Fort Gratiot, Desmond, Huron and Peru.
- Prior to the Civil War, Port Huron served as an important terminus of the Underground Railroad.
- Port Huron's population grew rapidly after the 1850's due in part to a successful shipbuilding and lumber trade. By 1870, Port Huron's population exceeded that of surrounding villages. In 1871, the Supreme Court designated Port Huron as the County Seat.
- In the years following the Civil War, Port Huron was the second largest immigration point in the United States, trailing only New York City.
- The first volunteer fire department was established in Port Huron in 1853 and used hand power and bucket brigades. In 1867, the area's first steam fire engine was operated and housed in the city's fire station.
- Michigan's first commercial petroleum production was in Port Huron, where twenty-two wells were drilled, beginning in 1886.
- In 1890 the world's first international under-water railroad tunnel was built under the St. Clair River to connect Port Huron and Sarnia.
- The Blue Water Bridge opened in 1938. A second span was added in 1997.
- Port Huron is the easternmost point in the State of Michigan.
Port Huron Now!
- The City of Port Huron includes 8.00 square miles and 5,120 acres of land within its corporate city limits; and more than 3,544 acres of waterways.
- Port Huron is considered the "central city" of St. Clair County and has the largest population of any municipality in the county.
- 2010 Census Data indicates that Port Huron's population is 30,184.
- The City maintains 144 miles of street paving, 164 miles of watermains, and 250 miles of sewer lines (both storm and sanitary) within the city limits.
- The Water Plant pumps an average of 7,300,000 gallons per day. The Plant has the capacity to pump up to 30,000,000 gallons per day maximum.
- The City has 2 elevated storage tanks and 1 ground storage tank which provides water reserves of up to 3.0 million gallons.
- The Water Reclamation Facility treats an average of 11,300,000 gallons per day. The Plant has the capacity to treat up to 33,000,000 gallons per day maximum.
- The City maintains 1,394 fire hydrants.
- Port Huron's Henry J. McMorran Complex contains two separate works by famed sculptor Marshall M. Fredericks, The Night and Day Fountain and a giant gold anodized aluminum Sculptured Clock.
- The City has 14 public parks, 4 smaller-sized “tot” parks, 19 playgrounds (City owned), 9 playgrounds (School owned), 33 tennis courts, including 16 at schools and 6 indoors, 2 public beaches, 2 public swimming pools, a community recreation center, 2 public scenic turnouts and a public parkway.
- Port Huron is the eastern terminus of both I-69 and I-94 and is the starting point for the Lake Huron Circle Tour.
Historic Port Huron - Port Huron currently has fourteen sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
- The Blue Water Bridge - added 1980.
- Wilbur F. Davidson House - added 1972.
- Thomas A. Edison Boyhood Homesite - added 1997.
- The Federal Building (U.S. Post Office and Custom House) - added 1974.
- Fort Gratiot Site - added 1980.
- Fort Gratiot Lighthouse - added 1976.
- Grand Trunk Western Railroad Depot (Edison Depot) - added 1977.
- The Harrington Hotel - added 1982.
- The Howard Block - added 1994.
- Huron Lightship - added 1976.
- Ladies of the Maccabees Building - added 1982.
- Military Road Historic District - added 1998.
- Seventh Street Bridge - added 2000.
- St. Clair River Tunnel - added 1980.
Port Huron currently has sixteen Michigan State Historic Markers
- Davidson House
- E. C. Williams House
- First International Tunnel
- Fort Gratiot Light
- Fort St. Joseph
- Harrington Hotel / Truman Honeymoon
- Huron Lightship
- Jefferson Sheldon House
- Methodist Episcopal Church
- Port Huron High School
- Port Huron Public Library
- St. John's United Church of Christ
- Shiloh Baptist Church
- Thomas Edison at the Grand Trunk
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Women's Benefit Association