Planning and Zoning Technician
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
PLANNING AND ZONING TECHNICIAN
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To perform planning drafting, designs, layouts and related reports and determinations regarding land use, development plans, zoning issues and other City ordinances. To review land use requests and modifications (including zoning amendments, lot combination/splits, subdivision deeds), and related work and to assist the Planning Director in the performance of his/her duties.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the supervision of the Planning Director.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Assist in research and preparation of plans, designs, layouts and reports regarding proposed land uses and developments (private and public).
- Prepare and maintain various maps, graphics, data banks, census data and land parcel information.
- Review site plans, development plans and special land use requests (including special use permits, lot combinations/splits, related requests).
- Provide research and guidance regarding zoning ordinance requirements, amendments to related ordinances and development plans, comprehensive plans and studies.
- Provide assistance to the public regarding zoning issues and property data.
- Review and advise the Planning Director and other on matters regarding zoning ordinance requirements and zoning variances.
- Prepare monthly zoning board of appeal staff reports as necessary, review zoning variance requests and advise building inspectors prior to issuance of permits as necessary.
- Assist members of related commissions and boards with research and recommendations on zoning issues and variance requests. Assist in the preparation of Zoning Board Agenda packets, attend meetings as deemed necessary by the Planning Director and act as staff liaison with board, applicants and surrounding property owners or those with a concern or interest.
- Coordinate actions with trade inspectors, code enforcement inspectors or other City staff as necessary, meet with the public as necessary, and prepare graphics, reports and material for other departments, agencies and the public as needed.
- Perform other related work as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Working knowledge and experience with the nomenclature and conventional symbols of drafting, mapping, GIS, and related design elements.
- Ability to work on a wide variety of projects for several departments at one time and to respond in a timely and professional manner to the needs of the public.
- Accuracy and attention to details.
- Strong computer skills that include working experience with GIS and AutoCad.
- Knowledge of Zoning Ordinances and Planning Law requirements, in general.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the following training and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school, required.
- Associates Degree or Certification in GIS, Architecture Drafting/Design, AutoCad or related subjects and a minimum of five (5) years work experience to demonstrate proficiency; or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning or related subject with course work to demonstrate working experience.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Salary Range: $ 45,000 – $ 50,000
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Pension program
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021
Application Deadline: Friday, May 14, 2021
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from HERE.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
Deadline for Applying : May 14, 2021 04:30 PM