THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To perform a variety of tasks when engaged in the combating, extinguishing and prevention of fires; answer medical calls, extricate and rescue individuals from fires and entrapment, respond to hazardous materials calls, and the operation and maintenance of fire department equipment, apparatus and quarters; and to perform related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the supervision of a superior officer.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Respond to fire alarms with fire company, connect and control hose lines and nozzles, erect ladders, turn water on or off and use extinguishers, axes, hooks and lifelines.
- Operate fire fighting apparatus, pumps and other auxiliary fire equipment.
- Respond to emergency calls removing persons from danger and/or applying emergency medical techniques for life-threatening injuries.
- Respond to rescue calls, operate auxiliary power equipment and/or deploy rescue boat and other gear during search and rescue work.
- Perform general maintenance work in the upkeep of a fire station, clean and wash walls, care for grounds and make minor repairs.
- Wash, hang and dry hose.
- Wash, clean and polish fire apparatus.
- Prepare meals.
- Participate in fire prevention inspections.
- Make periodic inspections, flow tests and maintenance of fire hydrants.
- Post to daily station log, prepare accident and fire reports and other records.
- Participate in overhaul and salvage operations.
- Participate in drills and other departmental training functions.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Knowledge of the geography, streets and principal locations in the city.
- Knowledge of traffic rules and regulations.
- Mechanical aptitude and mental alertness.
- Physically sound and active and must meet height, weight and physical requirements as established by policy.
- Willingness to perform any assigned task.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with other employees.
An employee in this class, upon application, should have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school, plus some responsible work experience.
- Must possess Michigan Fire Fighter Training Council (MFTTC) Fire Fighter II.
- Must possess a valid State of Michigan EMT-Basic certification or higher.
- Must possess Hazardous Materials Operations Level certification or higher.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan driver’s license.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- A United States citizen.
- No felony convictions.
- A resume, cover letter and copies of the following certificates must accompany the completed job application at the time of application:
- MFFTC Fire Fighter II
- State of Michigan EMT-Basic certification or higher
- Hazardous Materials Operations Level certification or higher
- Proof of valid passing EMPCO (Fire Fighter) written test score
- For information on taking the EMPCO test visit: https://www.empco.net/fts/
- Proof of valid CPAT (Candidate Physical Agility Test)
- For information on taking the CPAT visit: https://www.schoolcraft.edu/testingcenter/firefighter-testing
Working Hours: 24-hour shift rotation; Fire Department operates 24-hours per day / 365 days per year
Salary Range: $47,466 - $63,288 annually
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Qualified retirement plan
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Application Deadline: Friday, June 18, 2021
Note: Applications are being accepted at this time to establish an eligibility list.
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from HERE.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
Deadline for Applying : Jun 18, 2021 04:30 PM