Vehicle Equipment Mechanic
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
THIS POSITION REQUIRES A CURRENT, VALID, MICHIGAN COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE (CDL) GROUP A WITH AIR AND A CLEAN DRIVING RECORD. SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL BE GIVEN 90-DAYS FROM THEIR DATE OF HIRE TO OBTAIN THE REQUIRED CDL AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE.
VEHICLE EQUIPMENT MECHANIC
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To perform a variety of automotive and equipment repair tasks, such as inspecting, repairing and rebuilding equipment including electrical equipment and bridges, cars, trucks, tractors and other power-driven units; and to perform work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the general supervision of a foreman or superintendent.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Operate computerized test equipment, perform diagnostic functions on computerized engines and complete needed repairs.
- Perform complex equipment repair work involving heavy automotive and diesel power equipment.
- Adjust, repair and replace parts in engines, transmissions, differentials, and other equipment.
- Inspect equipment, analyze trouble and plan sequence of repair operations.
- Perform bumping, painting, heating, drilling, bolting, welding, brazing, soldering or cutting operations.
- Make repairs to the electrical systems of automotive and power-driven equipment.
- Inspect bodies and replace body units and fixtures.
- Reline and adjust brakes and make repairs to hydraulic and air systems.
- Perform motor tune-ups on all types of equipment.
- Perform front-end alignment, balance wheels, repair tires and replace shock absorbers.
- Operate a variety of power operated and hand tools used in maintenance work.
- Prepare records and reports.
- Install, maintain and repair electrical equipment and devices including wiring, motors, switches, relays and other electrical equipment.
- Perform electrical tests to determine causes of electrical failures.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Thorough knowledge of computerized engine systems, diagnostic test equipment and repair methods.
- Thorough knowledge of standard practices, methods, tools and equipment used in maintaining, repairing and rebuilding a variety of automotive and power-driven equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of internal combustion engines, automotive electricity, transmissions, differentials, and other component of automotive equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of diesel engines.
- Knowledge of welding and cutting techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of heavy duty truck and heavy equipment transmissions.
- Skill in the operation of a variety of tools and equipment used in automotive repair and maintenance activities.
- Ability to analyze and repair mechanical failures.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge of the tools, equipment, materials, and practices used in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment and devices.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, shall have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school.
- Must have valid Michigan Mechanic Master Certification for automobile, light and heavy-duty truck, gas and diesel.
- Several years of responsible experience in repairing and overhauling a variety of heavy and other automotive and power-driven equipment.
- Several years experience in automotive/truck electrical systems work.
- Full set of mechanic's tools required.
- Must have a valid Michigan Driver License (Operator's) and a valid Michigan Commercial Driver License (CDL), Group A/Air.
Ability and willingness to work Monday through Friday,
Day shift (7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.) OR Midnight shift (11:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.)
Ability and willingness to work overtime as needed.
Current Salary Range: $ 18.90 - $ 23.63 hourly
Salary Range effective July 1, 2021: $ 19.85 - $ 24.81 hourly
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Qualified retirement plan
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2021
Application Deadline: Friday, June 25, 2021
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from HERE.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **
Deadline for Applying : Jun 25, 2021 04:30 PM