Income Tax Clerk I
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
INCOME TAX CLERK I
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To perform a general review of and process City income tax returns and answer questions related to City income taxes. To prepare various correspondence, bills and reports required by the Income Tax Division.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the general supervision of the Income Tax Administrator.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Review City income tax returns for accuracy and compliance with the Uniform City Income Tax Ordinance.
- Process City income tax returns using CityTax software.
- Prepare correspondence, bills and any other related reports.
- Balance daily collections.
- Process refund checks.
- Answer the telephone, answer questions and assist people who visit the office.
- Assist with assessments for non-filers.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Knowledge and skill in using a personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Reasonable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- The ability to work well with the general public.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Attention to detail.
- Initiative and problem solving skills.
- Reliable and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks.
- Reasonable knowledge of the City Income Tax Ordinance, forms and reports.
- Experience in tax return preparation or courses in taxation.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school.
- Associates Degree preferred in Accounting or Finance or other related field.
- Recent experience in clerical, bookkeeping or office work.
- Recent experience in tax preparation.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Salary Range: $ 16.28 - $ 18.87 hourly
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Qualified retirement plan
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2021
Application Deadline: Friday, October 8, 2021
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from HERE.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
Deadline for Applying : Oct 8, 2021 04:30 PM