Recreation Activities Coordinator I
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
RECREATION ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR I
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To work with the planning and supervision of a municipal recreation program, supervise and oversee the training of personnel, programs, and activities. To assist and/or perform the duties of the Supervisor in his/her absence. Serve as liaison and contact person for the coordination of various municipal recreation programs (aquatics, beaches, youth sports, special events, etc.), local media, multiple townships, community boards, events and groups. To be available and accessible for weekend and evening program work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor and the Director of Parks and Recreation.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervision is exercised over seasonal and part-time personnel.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform).
- Assist in the planning and supervision of various municipal recreation programs, including youth sports programs, special events, volunteer program and occasionally assist with aquatics.
- Assist the Recreation Supervisor in reviewing employment applications for the purpose of hiring support personnel.
- Train and supervise the work of seasonal/part-time staff and others engaged in program activities.
- Coordinate programs for the City Recreation Department.
- Plan, coordinate and organize programs and special events for the fall, winter and summer schedule.
- Participate in programs, special events and activities held in the evenings and/or on weekends.
- Prepare and finalize program information to enter/update on RecPro.
- Prepare and finalize program information for promotional items and social media.
- Schedule and maintain the building calendar for offsite and onsite usage.
- Prepare and/or approve offsite building usage contracts.
- Assist in registration, orientation, program development, discipline and guidance, attending out of town trips and special events.
- Assist in coordinating and supervising all phases of Internship programs.
- Assume responsibility after 4:30 p.m. and on weekends in fall, winter and spring seasons for all scheduled activities, hiring and coordination of support personnel in the Palmer Park Recreation Center, Pools and Beaches.
- Assist in the purchase of supplies and equipment, as necessary, for the complete operation of programs.
- Supervise and assist in coordination of activities and staff in all phases of programs.
- Assist in the care of facilities and grounds.
- Assist in coordinating and operating leagues in schools: women's volleyball, coed volleyball.
- Plan, coordinate and implement multiple large events.
- Assist in budget forecasting for future recreational program needs.
- Assist with fundraising for special events and programs.
- Assist the Recreation Supervisor with actively seeking and applying for grant monies pertaining to recreation programs.
- Network with other agencies and organizations with similar programs to minimize competition and find the best recreation coverage for the whole area.
- Provide information, answer correspondence, prepare publicity reports, promote the use of recreation facilities and programs and prepare and maintain administrative records as needed.
- Recruit and train professional and volunteer workers.
- Prepare and maintain administrative records as needed.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Considerable knowledge of modern recreation principles, practices, equipment and facilities.
- Considerable knowledge of the rules, regulations and methods of organizing recreation activities, including supervision of various municipal recreation programs, special events, social activities, community youth activities, and meeting seasonal needs.
- Considerable knowledge of the objective and philosophy of municipal recreation programs and activities.
- Considerable knowledge and experience with personal computers, including using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) required.
- General knowledge of website updates using WordPress desired.
- Considerable knowledge of the required certifications and procedures involved in running an aquatics program/facility.
- Ability to train, lead, and coordinate the activities of seasonal/part-time employees.
- Ability to deal effectively with youth, adults, senior citizens, other employees, and the general public.
- Resourcefulness in hiring seasonal employees, handling problems and supervision skills.
- Proficiency in public speaking for radio interviews, public appearances and events in order to promote the Recreation Department.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation from a college or university of recognized standing with specialization in recreation, physical education or related fields and/or experience equivalent to same.
- Experience in the supervision or administration of a community recreation program involving a multitude of activities.
- Must have a valid Michigan driver’s license (Operator’s).
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Evenings and weekends during scheduled events.
- Ability to sit, stand or walk for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
Salary Range: $33,000 - $37,000 annually
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Qualified retirement plan
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020
Application Deadline: Friday, March 6, 2020
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from here.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **
Deadline for Applying : Mar 6, 2020 03:30 PM