Equipment Operator II (Utilities Division)
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
THIS POSITION REQUIRES A CURRENT, VALID, MICHIGAN COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE (CDL) GROUP A WITH AIR, THE ABILITY TO OBTAIN AN “N” ENDORSEMENT AND A CLEAN DRIVING RECORD. THOSE NOT POSSESSING THE NECESSARY REQUIREMENTS NEED NOT APPLY.
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR II
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To perform moderately difficult and responsible public works, construction and maintenance work involving the safe and efficient operation of various kinds of heavy and specialized automotive and power-driven equipment, acting as group leader and performing related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the supervision of a Foreman III and/or other designated official.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Subject to general assignment and to inspection of work in progress and upon completion, with responsibility for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Operate light and heavy trucks, snow plows, tractors, and other automotive and other power-driven equipment.
- Operate front-end loader in a variety of loading and construction operations.
- Operate various cement cutting saws, grinders, chain saw, air compressors and other equipment as required.
- Operate tapping machines, hydrant thawing equipment, sewer machines or other job related equipment as required.
- Operate vactor / jet rodder and/or any other sewer cleaning equipment.
- Participate in the installation or repairs to water service lines and water mains, valves and hydrants.
- Participate in the installation or repairs to sewer services, sewer mains, manholes and catch basins.
- Participate in manual labor operations involved in sewer and water installation, maintenance, and repair work.
- Perform manual labor, load and unload trucks, dig manholes and catch basins, clean catch basins and demonstrate reasonable knowledge in the constructional operations of the water distribution & sewer collections system.
- Manipulate controls to operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Change various attachments on equipment, lubricate, fuel and clean equipment as required.
- Record and post residential and/or commercial & institutional establishments for N/P.
- Perform street patching, repairs and right of way restoration.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to perform job assignments and/or related tasks in a timely manner.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance requirements of various types of heavy and specialized automotive and power-driven equipment.
- Reasonable knowledge of traffic laws for construction barricading and safety.
- Knowledge of automotive and power-driven equipment lubrication and repair activities.
- Familiarity with streets and principal locations in the city.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to understand and follow or give out oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to operate automotive equipment skillfully, safely and in accordance with rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the methods and materials used in the water distribution and sewer collections system.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work effectively with the public and other employees.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, shall have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school.
- ACompetent Person@ qualification for trenching & shoring.
- Knowledge of the maintenance, operation and safety requirements of a variety of automotive and power-driven equipment.
- Confined Space Certification.
- Fork lift certification (Michigan).
- Must have a valid Michigan Driver License (Operator=s) and a valid Michigan Commercial Driver License (CDL), Group A/Air with a Tanker AN@ endorsement.
- Reasonable, recent experience in the operation of various types of heavy automotive and/or specialized power-driven equipment, involving public works construction and maintenance and/or related activities.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Ability and willingness to work overtime and callouts, as required
- Ability to enter and work in small confined spaces
- Example: Ability to enter a space through a 24 – 26 inch opening
- Example: Must be able to work inside a trench up to 14 feet deep
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Ability to stand and sit for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to climb frequently in/out of trenches and equipment
- Ability to operate water main valves which require physical aptitude
- Ability to lift and carry various items up to 80 pounds
- Ability to push and pull various items with ease, sometimes with the aid of a backhoe
- Exposure to raw sewage, traffic and pressurized water mains/services
- Ability to lift sewer cleaning tubes up to depths of approximately 30 feet
- Ability to interact with citizens in a polite and tactful manner
Salary Range: $17.46 - $21.82 per hour; Salary will increase by 5% effective July 1, 2020
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Pension program
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020
Application Deadline: Friday, March 6, 2020
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from here.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **
Deadline for Applying : Mar 6, 2020 04:30 PM