Rental Certification Inspector
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
RENTAL CERTIFICATION INSPECTOR
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To perform housing inspection work including the assessment of rental units as outlined in the "Rental Certification Ordinance"; to prepare correspondence, records and reports; to coordinate rental and housing inspections with other City Inspectors. To perform other duties as assigned by the Planning/Community Development Director or their designee.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the general supervision of the Chief Inspector, Planning/Community Development Director or their designee.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Perform inspections of rental units within the City of Port Huron.
- Coordinate corrections of rental inspection violations with the appropriate licensed inspector.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports of inspections, complaints, and investigations.
- Prepare and follow up on Notices of Violations.
- Testify in Administrative Hearings, when necessary.
- Perform other housing inspections as directed by licensed inspectors.
- Operate in conformance with the City of Port Huron Civil Infractions Ordinance.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school. Associates Degree preferred.
- Knowledge or training in building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical trades in order to perform housing inspections and recognize deficiencies. Builder’s license preferred.
- Ability to interpret rental inspection code and apply it to each residential inspection.
- Ability to prepare and maintain correspondence, records and reports.
- Ability to work effectively with the public and other employees.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Salary Range: $48,000 - $53,000
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all types of weather.
- Must be able to sit, stand or walk for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Good observation skills in order to identify code violations.
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Qualified retirement plan
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020
Application Deadline: Friday, November 13, 2020
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from here.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **
Deadline for Applying : Nov 13, 2020 04:30 PM