Code Enforcement Inspector
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
CODE ENFORCEMENT INSPECTOR
PLANNING DEPARTMENT / CODE ENFORCEMENT DIVISION
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To initiate certain non-specialized inspection work and inspect work generated by complaints from citizens at large, or at the request of rental or city inspectors or other city employees / departments to ensure compliance with City codes, ordinances, rules and regulations. To prepare needed reports and perform related work as required. To work with building/rental inspectors with inspections as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the direction of Chief Building Inspector and Director of Planning and Community Development or their designee.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Inspect and follow up on all complaints referred to the Police Department, Code Enforcement Unit, Inspections, Planning or Community Development Divisions.
- Communicate with property owners regarding complaints or other inspections.
- Prepare correspondence and maintain records and reports. Ability to correctly document issues, preserve photographic proofs.
- Coordinate with Code Enforcement Secretary regarding follow up reports, providing assistance and information to general public regarding violation and inspection procedures.
- Inspect and enforce the City’s blight ordinance for both commercial and residential areas.
- Issue code enforcement citations as necessary to correct violations.
- Offer testimony at the Administrative Hearing Bureau (blight court), appeals board processes, or with in the St. Clair County court system.
- Inspect and enforce the City’s parking/zoning violations, including abandon vehicle complaints.
- Perform related work as required or directed.
- Operate in conformance with municipal blight violations, civil infraction and / or misdemeanor ordinances.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Some knowledge of the laws, ordinances and codes dealing with building construction, zoning standards / requirements and blight ordinances.
- Reasonable knowledge of inspection methods, practices and techniques.
- Ability to organize / present reports in a logical and consistent manner.
- Ability to prepare detailed correspondence, records and reports.
- Must have a valid Michigan Driver License (Operator’s) with a good driving record.
- Must pass a background investigation which may include full criminal history check, drug screen, etc.
- Ability to work effectively with other officials, employees and the general public while utilizing good public relation skills and appropriately manage interpersonal relationships.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school.
- Ability to prepare reports and write effectively and efficiently utilizing computer skills and experience with windows, Microsoft office, mainframe or similar software programs.
- Ability to utilize photographic equipment to capture code violations for reporting purposes.
- Ability to manage large and complex case load, utilizing time management skills and prioritization ability on complaints assigned.
- Past municipal or governmental experience is a plus.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Salary Range: $35,000 - $40,000 annually
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Qualified retirement plan
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2020
Application Deadline: Friday, January 8, 2021
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from here.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **
Deadline for Applying : Jan 8, 2021 04:30 PM