Support Services - Animal Control Officer
Description : THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To pick up and care for unlicensed and stray dogs and other animals; to answer complaints concerning dogs or other animals; and to perform related work as required. To perform ancillary duties to support the operation of the department as described by the Chief of Police.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Detective Lieutenant and general supervision of the Field Services Lieutenant(s) and other superior officers.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Patrol the city watching for stray, lost or unlicensed dogs or other animals.
- Respond to citizen complaints regarding dogs or other animals and attempt to secure the cooperation of animal owners in enforcing applicable ordinances and regulations.
- Maintain records and prepare routine reports pertaining to work operations.
- Investigate dog bites and other complaints and impound animals suspected of rabies and other infectious diseases.
- Pick up and dispose of dead animals.
- Issue warnings to violators of ordinances regulating the care and treatment of animals and, if necessary, initiate court action against them.
- Operate equipment and tools in the capture and transport of a variety of animals. (Any type of firearm not included.)
- Issue ordinance violation tickets as necessary.
- Drive a truck.
- Process vehicle impounds and abandon autos, and complete necessary paperwork.
- Assistant Property Custodian; work in the evidence/property room. Handling, transporting categorizing and storing evidence and other property.
- Process police video system requests/redaction.
- Perform other support services as required.
- Perform related work as required.
- Considerable knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations pertaining to the control and care of animals.
- Reasonable knowledge of the care, handling and habits of dogs and other animals.
- Reasonable knowledge of the geography, streets, and important locations in the city.
- Reasonable knowledge of humane animal treatment.
- Physical agility and skill in picking up and handling dogs and other animals.
- General knowledge of the market value of automobiles.
- Considerable knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations pertaining automobiles.
- Tact in dealing with the public.
- Ability to prepare and maintain routine records and reports.
- High school diploma, GED, and/or graduated from an accredited high school.
- Reasonable experience in handling animals.
- Participate in-house training and additional schools pertaining to care, handling, laws, regulations, etc. regarding animals.
- Participate in-house training and additional schools pertaining to laws and regulations regarding property custodian and evidence handling.
- Participate in-house training and additional schools pertaining to laws and regulations regarding licensing and titling of automobiles.
- Basic computer skills.
Salary Range: $39,462 - $52,616 annually
Benefit Package, including:
· Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
· Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
· Disability income plan
· Qualified retirement plan
· Deferred compensation plan (457)
· Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2021
Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 26, 2021
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from here.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
Deadline for Applying : Jan 26, 2021 04:30 PM